Tuesday, February 1, 2011

"The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live." - Flora Whittemore

There is a small annoyance in my life right now: Grad School. This whole process has been so overwhelming for me and I'm not entirely sure why. Between deciding what I wanted to study (I'm still not sure I have made the right choice), finding a school and then applying, I feel like it has been this crazy decision that will decide my entire future. Am I really ready to make that kind of decision right now?


I am not convinced. I am a mere 22 years old. Who is to say that the decision I make right now that I want to go into counseling will be what I still want to do when I am 60? or 50? or 40? or even tomorrow? This whole thing just boggles my mind. And of course you could argue I could always go back to school if I decide to do something different later, but really...after so much time and money has been invested would I really want to?


As I sit and revise my personal statement right now (...again), I wonder about how much the statement "I really would love nothing more than to get my master's in counseling" is really true. With the deadline today though, I need to make a decision soon. I am going to submit this application regardless, but I'm just so uneasy about it. I am horrible with making decisions but I feel like this is one where I should really know for certain.


I suppose once I find out if I get accepted or not that will help me make my decision. For now though, it is back to revising...and as much as I hate editing, it seems like such an easier task than thinking about all of this.

Image credit goes to: http://www.sfnewshub.com/?p=537

14 comments:

  1. Life is full of choices and of change. You can even have two or more distinctly different careers in your adult life. Good luck with your current decisions. Enjoy life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the company you work for will pay for you to go to grad school so if you feel like its too hard of a decision to make right now, you can always go back to it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My view on grad. school is usually different than most. If you enjoy going to school then why not go to grad school and get that degree! It will only benefit you more. Like I said in class today, I don't really enjoy school, I'm ready to get out and start making business decisions and money, but I would be willing to go back to school if someone else (preferably the company I will be working for)is willing to pay for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life is an obstacle course. Things are gonna get rocky at times, but they can be outmaneuvered one way or another.

    I'm sure that grad school will provide a good experience for you. I wish you luck! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tough call on grad school! I think if you are already in the school work mind set, than you might as well just keep truckin' and get your masters! That doesn't mean you can't change your mind on what you want to do later in life ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you think it will be the right thing for your future, then go for it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes! I've been doing the grad school debate myself. I've heard if you want to go into counseling or anything to do with psych, then you have to go. Good luck and follow your dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uh, grad school. It's funny because right off the bat, I told myself that I would not go to grad school. Why? Thinking about it now, I really didn't have a good reason. I just really hate the stress school puts on you. It has been something i have been thinking about lately though. We will see. Good Luck, and I'm sure you'll make it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never been good at making decisions! I feel your pain. Grad school is a great opportunity, though. I wish I had more motivation to do it myself. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's funny that you see it as a small annoyance, I wish I had that outlook! I still have one more year of undergrad and I am already beating myself up over deciding whether or not to go to grad school. Do I really want to take on MORE student loans? I always find myself complaining about school work and not being able to wait for graduation, but then again, part of me really wants to go to grad school because I know what I want to do, career wise, definitely requires it. Whatever decision you make, make sure that you'll be happy, that's the most important!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you put to much pressure on yourself, or maybe it's society. You are still young and have a lifetime of living to do. All decisions don't have to be set in stone, I just turned 30 and I have been jumping around for the last 12 years trying to find what I want. Most people have no idea what they want even after they finish undergrad or grad school. You can take single classes at a time, or come back at some point in your life and finish. I dont think immediate decisions are necessary. I do think the most important part though is not stressing yourself out over it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The way I tested myself on whether or not I made the right choice picking a major in English (Creative Writing)--was to image my first day of work. In fact, I was day dreaming about it in my stupid math class--I wrote it down to keep it as a record (I'll post it tomorrow). The image of me in a white dress shirt, a loose tie, black pants, and green converse in front of my undergrad students gives me gooze bumps (spelling--I know I suck, i write stories, not an expert in grammer). Think about it. If you have put all this time in work into the study of psychology, then there must be something that draws you to it. I don't know what your area of expertise will be, but just think about the impact you will make on people--think about the lives you will save, the smiles you will put on people's faces. The list goes on and on ad infinitum. Make your own list and make your own conclusion. But dream about it first...that always helps me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hate the pressure of trying to figure out what you want to do for the rest of your life it's so intimidating. You can always try it out and if you hate it you know you will always have other options.

    ReplyDelete